The historic church of St Laurence in Thanet is the mother church of the St Laurence Team Ministry. It was founded as early as 1062 and is the oldest church in Ramsgate. The building is constructed of flint, Caen stone and Kentish rag stone.
It is a friendly and welcoming church of the central tradition and uses both the Book of Common Prayer (BCP) and Common Worship. The third Sunday of each month is an informal and interactive All Age Family service with a Contemporary Sung Communion.
The church has long and established links with the local community especially St. Laurence-in-Thanet Church of England Junior Academy. Please see St. Laurence-In-Thanet Church of England Junior Academy website.
St Laurence church has a talented band of change ringers who do justice to the ten bells in its 14th century tower.
The St Laurence churchyard covers three and a half acres and contains over 1400 graves dating back as far as 1656. As well as providing an insight into the social history of the Parish, the churchyard is managed for the benefit of wildlife and is an oasis for flora and fauna. The ‘Friends of St. Laurence Churchyard’ care for the grounds with weeding, planting and tidying.